11 June 2017

YALC


I am super excited to have tickets to my first ever book con! In July I'll be going to YALC, the Young Adult Literary Convention, which is part of the London Film & Comic Con, with by book bestie Sophia. I'll add the link to the blog in case you want to check it out too. Inspired by the enthusiasm of Grace Latter from Almost Amazing Grace fame, I decided to write a little post about this and then I'll update on how I got on after the event too.

I have been checking out the listed authors who are attending so far and have quite a long list of books to read before I go. A lot of the ones I have read so far have been borrowed or e-ARCs so I plan to buy loads of these too and hopefully get them signed. There are so many amazing books, I'm worried how I'll get round to all the authors I want so it's probably going to take quite a lot of planning.

A few of my favourites from the books I have read so far:
The One Memory of Flora Banks by Emily Barr
Tree Magic by Harriet Springbett
The Sin Eater's Daughter (trilogy) by Melinda Salisbury
Wishbones by Virginia Macgregor
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
I have already reviewed some of these and there will be more posts to come.

My very long to be read list includes:
Spellbook of the Lost and Found by Moira Fowley-Doyle
One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus
How Not to Disappear by Clare Furniss
The Witch's Kiss by Katharine & Elizabeth Corr
Paper Butterflies by Lisa Heathfield
It's All Absolutely Fine by Ruby Elliot
The Potion Diaries by Amy Alward

If you have read any of these or have more suggestions, please write me a note in the comments, I love recommendations.

I couldn't really find just one cocktail to match all these books but as I write this I'm sipping (trying not to guzzle) a Strawberry and Basil martini. I bought some strawberries today and I don't think they will last long so thought it would be good to use them up today. I've already eaten a bowl of them earlier. Plus it's a nice summery drink and the sun is shining for a change.

Muddle 3 or 4 strawberries in a shaker and then add a bunch of basil leaves and mash a little more to release the flavours. Add a shot of gin and half shot of lemon juice. Depending on how sweet your strawberries are, you might not need to add any sugar but I used a squeeze of agave syrup as I didn't think mine were sweet enough. Add plenty of ice to shake, and then double strain into your glass as there will be lots of strawberry bits and leaves in the shaker. I actually love the bits so spooned out the leftover strawberries from the bottom of the shaker, yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment